- What Do I Do With...
- Recycling & Disposal Info
- Community Resources
True trash is any item that cannot be reduced, reused, recycled, or composted. Some examples of true trash include paper towels, tissue paper, plastic wrap, containers soiled by food, diapers, and many others. This material is disposed of in the landfill. Learn more about the landfill and what happens to your trash once it is picked up from the curb.
Steps for proper trash preparation and setout per the Town's By-laws:
- Take clear plastic kitchen/household bags of trash to trash container. (DO NOT use a recycling toter as a trash container.)
- Place durable, watertight, rodent-proof trash container at the curb by 7 AM on your trash collection day.
- Cover with tight fitting cover. An attached cover is recommended.
Trash containers should not remain on the sidewalk for more than 24 hours before or after collection period.
You can purchase clear plastic bags at local grocery and hardware stores.
- 50 pounds maximum per container.
- MUST be able to be picked up by one person.
- The Town and hauler recommend a wheeled trash can cart with attached lid and grab bar.
Items not accepted curbside:
- Small electronics (anything with a cord, including TVs, vacuums, microwaves, computer monitors, etc.)
- Sheet rock
- Wood stoves
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Propane tanks
- Appliances containing refrigerant (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, etc.). You may set out IF refrigerant is removed.
News and Upcoming Events
2013 Recycling & Holiday Calendar is available.
Leafe and Yard Waste site ope for the season
at 185 Guelphwood Rd (DPW) NO PLASTIC BAGS
Curbside Leaf and Yard collection
April 22nd - June 1st 2013 NO PLASTIC BAGS
Earth Day Event
Saturday April 20th 9am-1pm Town Common (Rain Date April 27th)
Southbridge Receives Recycling Award!
Do not put in trash. Bring to Preventative Health Nurse.
Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), thermostats and button cell batteries contain mercury.
Do not put in trash. Read more.
Sustainability Committee Seeks One More Member.
FREE Home Energy Assessment with Mass Save. There's no obligation. Learn about energy-saving improvements and rebates. Visit MassSave.com or call 866-527-SAVE.
Year end rates 2012 24.99% vs 2011 18.01%
Read our Testimonials
Household Hazardous Waste Events are held quarterly on Saturday from 9 AM to 1 PM at Casella Waste Services Facility, 165 Barefoot Rd., Southbridge, MA on the following dates:
Dates are subject to change.